Subject: Call for contributions--Book on disaster management

Call for contributions--Book on disaster management

From: Jennifer Townes <jtownes<-a>
Date: Thursday, April 10, 2014
Call for Chapter Proposals
Disaster Management and Contingency Planning in Modern Libraries

My colleague and I are working on an edited volume entitled Disaster
Management and Contingency Planning in Modern Libraries.  Please
feel encouraged to submit a proposal for a double-blind review and
please also forward to any colleagues, listervs, or organizations
you feel may be interested.

Proposal Submission Deadline: May 30, 2014

Disaster Management and Contingency Planning in Modern Libraries
A book edited by

    Emy Nelson Decker
    AUC-Robert W. Woodruff Library

    Jennifer Townes
    AUC-Robert W. Woodruff Library

To be published by IGI Global

    <URL:http://bit.ly/1fOOCfT>

For release in Advances in Library and Information Science Book
series:

    <URL:http://www.igi-global.com/book-series/advances-library-information-science/73002>
    ISSN: 2326-4136

The Advances in Library and Information Science Book Series aims to
expand the body of library science literature by covering a wide
range of topics affecting the profession and field at large.  The
series also seeks to provide readers with an essential resource for
uncovering the latest research in library and information science
management, development, and technologies

Introduction: Library and archives disaster planning and contingency
management go by many names: emergency planning, risk assessment,
business continuity, etc.  Awareness has increased over the past
fifteen years, and now disaster planning is an ever-growing presence
in modern consciousness.  Any type of contingency planning for
libraries is important because we are building more and more
evidence that preparedness is possible, even if prevention is not.
In general, anything involving extensive damage to the collections
falls into the "disaster" category.  However, it is important to
draw a distinction between small-scale disasters, such as a burst
pipe, and large-scale disasters, such as a category 5 hurricane.  A
naturally occurring disaster is an act of nature (tornadoes,
hurricanes, earthquakes), as opposed to an anthropogenic disaster,
which is caused or produced by humans (war, censorship, arson).  The
myriad ways in which we define disaster indicate our inability to
predict them, and therefore we will never be able to prevent them.
What we can do is prepare the one variable we do have control over:
ourselves.  By exploring disasters of different scale and
devastation, we can begin to develop more complete and efficient
disaster plans for our cultural institutions.  The literature about
disaster planning has not given close examination to the different
types of disasters to befall libraries, thus this book is based on
emerging research and events exemplified by case studies.
Contributions to this edited volume will explore libraries impacted
by disasters of different scales, ranging from small to catastrophic
and disasters of different types, from naturally occurring to
anthropogenic.

Objective of the Book: This compendium of emerging research about
disaster mitigation and contingency planning will better inform
disaster planning at the design level.  Additionally, this book will
serve as a resource for those who have already experienced disaster
and the ideas put forth will potentially spur positive change in
organizational culture.  This book will investigate the impact of
large and small scale disasters--both anthropogenic and natural in
origin--on libraries.  Readers will learn from the experiences of
others, expand their definition of disaster, and create or redesign
their own disaster plans.

Target Audience: Our publication will benefit librarians, library
staff, archivists, curators, students, local/state/national disaster
preparedness professionals, private collectors, and corporations
which store/archive collections.

Contributors are welcome to submit chapters on the following topics
relating to library disaster management and contingency planning:

    Disaster management and contingency planning in libraries

    Changes to disaster planning and recovery post-2000

    Library safety measures

    Changes to library materials conservation and restoration
    post-2000

    Emerging disaster management theory

    Emerging contingency planning theory

    Lessons learned from small scale disasters (broken pipes, fires,
    vandalism, storms, etc.)

    Lessons learned from large scale disasters (September 11, 2001,
    Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy, the Indonesian tsunami, Typhoon
    Haiyan, the Haitian earthquake, etc.)

    Social implications of disaster preparedness and management

    Public, academic, and private libraries and archives experiences
    with disaster of any scale

    Naturally occurring disasters

    Anthropogenic disasters

    Challenges/crises not commonly included in disaster plans

    Financial disaster planning (recession, staff cuts, effect on
    digital projects, etc.)

    Electronic backup failure (loss of backup servers, born-digital
    data, electrical surges, etc.)

Submission Procedure: Researchers and practitioners are invited to
submit on or before May 30, 2014, a 2-3 page chapter proposal
clearly explaining the mission and concerns of his or her proposed
chapter.  Authors of accepted proposals will be notified by July 30,
2014 about the status of their proposals and sent chapter
guidelines.  Full chapters are expected to be submitted by September
30, 2014.  All submitted chapters will be reviewed on a double-blind
review basis.  Contributors may also be requested to serve as
reviewers for this project.  Proposals should be submitted through
the link at the bottom of this page.

Publisher: This book is scheduled to be published by IGI Global
(formerly Idea Group Inc.), publisher of the "Information Science
Reference" (formerly Idea Group Reference), "Medical Information
Science Reference," "Business Science Reference," and "Engineering
Science Reference" imprints.  For additional information regarding
the publisher, please visit

    <URL:http://www.igi-global.com>

This book is anticipated to be released in 2015.

Important Dates

    May 30, 2014
    Proposal Submission Deadline

    July 30, 2014
    Notification of Acceptance

    September 30, 2014
    Full Chapter Submission

    November 30, 2014
    Review Results Returned

    February 15, 2015
    Final Chapter Submission

Inquiries can be sent to

    Emy Nelson Decker <edecker<-a t->auctr< . >edu> or
    Jennifer Townes <jtownes<-a t->auctr< . >edu>
    Atlanta University Center
    Robert W. Woodruff Library
    111 James P. Brawley Drive SW
     Atlanta GA 30314

To propose a chapter, see

    <URL:http://www.igi-global.com/publish/call-for-papers/submit/1346>

To find related content in this research area, visit
InfoSci-OnDemand: Download Premium Research Papers

    <URL:http://www.igi-global.com/infosci-ondemand/search/>

Jennifer Townes, M.S.L.S.
Unit Head, Information and Research Services
Robert W. Woodruff Library
Atlanta University Center
111 James P. Brawley Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30314