Subject: Storing cellulose nitrate artifacts

Storing cellulose nitrate artifacts

From: Lisa Ann Bengston <lbengston<-a>
Date: Thursday, April 3, 2014
We are considering cold storage for the cellulose nitrate artifacts
in our History collection.  Those cellulose nitrate artifacts that
are visibly deteriorated will be rehoused and sent to our offsite
cold storage facility immediately.  The question is what to do with
those cellulose nitrate artifacts that appear to be stable at this
time.  If they go off site, they won't be easily accessible by
researchers and staff.  Given that the rate of cellulose nitrate
deterioration is unpredictable, is it worthwhile testing them to
determine their stage of deterioration and to make a decision for
offsite cold storage, based on the test results?  Or is the
alternative to monitor the "stable" artifacts in museum storage and
to transfer them to cold storage once they show visible signs of
deterioration?  Is there a North American company that supplies acid
detection test strips for cellulose nitrate?

Lisa Bengston
Object Conservator
Archives, Collections and Knowledge

                   Distributed: Sunday, April 6, 2014