Subject: Displaying neon art

Displaying neon art

From: Ingrid Neuman <berkart<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 18, 2014
I would like to inquire about what other conservators in fine art
institutions are recommending to be the safe display distance of
neon art from oil paintings on canvas for instance.  We have a
situation here at the RISD Museum where we have a neon work
installed temporarily on the adjacent wall located at 90 degrees
from a 19th century oil painting.  They are approximately 3 feet
apart.  This neon installation is a student work and the oil
painting is by a known artist.  So I would like to gather
experiences and data from other institutions to present to the
Curator.  It would be ideal to hear from those institutions who
regularly display neon.

Ingrid Neuman
Rhode Island School of Design Museum

                 Distributed: Saturday, March 22, 2014