Subject: Human skin

Human skin

From: Simon Moore <couteaufin<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Flavia Perugini <fperugini<-a t->mfa< . >org> writes

>I have been asked to advise on the conservation and mounting of a 6
>inch diameter piece of human skin.  The skin is about to be
>surgically removed from the artist's body.  The artist's intent is
>to mount the skin on a medallion once it has has dried and shrunk.

You will probably get a host of suggestions about this from
taxidermists.  My own advice is to use a skin pickle called Neosyn
which keeps skin supple after pickling and prevents bacterial
depredation during the (gradual) drying out process.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

                 Distributed: Saturday, March 22, 2014