Subject: Survey on use of ultraviolet visible fluorescence in paper conservation

Survey on use of ultraviolet visible fluorescence in paper conservation

From: Aafke Weller <aafkeweller<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Is your ultraviolet lamp dusting away in some corner of your studio
or is it one of your most popular diagnostic tools? Either way, by
completing this online survey, you can help me get an insight in how
conservators of books and paper use ultraviolet visible fluorescence
UFV(vis).  The survey is part of my Master's research project under
guidance of the University of Amsterdam and the Cultural Heritage
Agency of the Netherlands.  Its key objective is to develop a
concept of an atlas of ultraviolet images as a diagnostic tool to
aid conservators working with paper heritage.

On average, it will take 12 minutes to complete the survey.  You can
start, stop and restart at a later, more convenient time using the
same computer and browser.  The link will be active until 20 April
2014.

    Survey on UVF(vis) examination in paper conservation (12 min)
    <URL:https://uvahumanities.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_50FWgDwpwfRPWN7>

The survey includes an optional mini quiz testing your skills in
interpreting ultraviolet fluorescence images.  There is also some
space reserved for you to share your personal experience as a
conservator of books and/or paper using UVF(vis).  I am especially
interested in case studies, since they aptly illustrate the practice
of UVF(vis) examination.  I would very much appreciate your help and
if you like, I will inform you about the results of this survey.
You can leave your e-mail address once you've answered all the
appropriate questions.  Your individual answers will be processed
anonymously and will not be passed onto third parties.

Aafke Weller
Master student
Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Heritage
University of Amsterdam
The Netherlands

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 11, 2014