Subject: Course on health and safety

Course on health and safety

From: Pieta Greaves <pieta.greaves<-a>
Date: Monday, February 24, 2014
Laboratory Safety for Conservators and Museums
Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
9am-4.30 pm

Health and Safety tends to cause great concern these days with
people worried about who is to blame and will we get sued.  In
reality it is the application of common sense, preferably applied
with a modicum of knowledge.

In this course through lecture and discussion we intend to explain
the legal responsibility and demystify the arcane art of risk
assessment - if you can cross the road without getting hit too often
you can "do" risk assessment.  Particularly looking at chemical
safety and the needs of the COSHH Regulations we should also have
time to consider some of the other hazards that should concern us in
laboratories--fire, manual handling etc.

Participants will be given the chance to raise their own concerns so
if you have any particular health and safety problem please feel
free to raise it during the course.  You may be surprised to find
out that many others have the same concerns or may have excellent
ways of dealing with them.

Trainer: Martin Adlem BSc Tech IOSH studied chemistry at Southampton
University and then worked for BDH Chemicals Ltd.  Initially working
in chemical manufacture, with the arrival of the COSHH regulations
in 1988 he moved into health and safety and worked for ten years as
an internal Health and Safety Advisor for the company.

In 1999 he set up his own Health and Safety Consultancy and since
then has worked for schools and colleges, museums, in construction,
in factories and in retail.  He has even worked for organisations as
diverse as a port and an orchestra.  He has run successful safety
courses for ICON in the past and is a tutor for the IOSH accredited
Managing Safely course.

Price: UKP85

Numbers: maximum 40

Contact: Pieta Greaves <pieta.greaves<-a t->birminghammuseums< . >org< . >uk>

Pieta Greaves
Staffordshire Hoard Conservation Coordinator
Birmingham Museums Trust
Chamberlain Square, B3 3DH
+44 121 3033089
Mobile: +44 7905711414