Subject: Latex and foam masks

Latex and foam masks

From: Stephanie Antequino <santequino<-a>
Date: Tuesday, February 4, 2014
We have a large collection of latex and foam masks, many of which
have begun to deteriorate.  Depending on the material, they are
either hardening and crumbling, or beginning to "weep" and have
sticky spots.  Somebody had told the staff to use cornstarch on the
sticky masks to remove the residue.  Is this an accepted practice,
or is there something else that can be done to help stabilize these
items.  Also, we will be packing the masks in acid-free boxes, and
will be using silicone release paper so that the masks don't get
stuck to the box.  What is the best way to pad-out the interior for
those that do not have something rigid helping them hold their
shape?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Stephanie (Gaub) Antequino
Memorabilia Archivist
earlenterprises
Planet Hollywood International