Subject: Swimsuit collections

Swimsuit collections

From: Eva Bienvenu <eva-bienvenu<-a>
Date: Monday, January 27, 2014
I am student in fifth year in Conservation in the High School of Art
of Avignon (ESAA), one of the four conservation programmes
accredited in France.  I am doing my Master's degree on "Elasticity,
the study of a property regarding the swimsuits collection of the
Colleccio Antoni de Montpalau in Sabadell, Spain".  The problem of
interest is: how conserve and preserve functional/fashion garments
which suffer from attacks acting on their elastic property?

I have a question for institutions conserving fashion objects and
conservators who have already treated this type of objects or
objects with similar problems:

    Do you conserve swimsuits in your collections?
    If so, in which category the objects are they placed (fashion,
    design, ethnography)?

    How are the objects conditioned and kept?

    Do you have identification and condition report index cards
    types for these objects?

    Have you had any conservation problems regarding the swimsuits?
    If so, do they concern specific problems in the elasticity or in
    the constituent materials (rubber, lastex, plastic elements,
    metallic elements)?

    If these objects have been exhibited, how--on
    dummy, type of dummy, flat?

Thanking you in advance and hoping that my research subject will
hold your attention.

Eva Bienvenu
Master's degree student in the High School of Art of Avignon (ESAA)
+33 6 27 54 77 24

                Distributed: Thursday, February 6, 2014