Subject: Course on identification of handmade paper

Course on identification of handmade paper

From: Laetitia Letendard <laetitia.letendard<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Course

"Identification of handmade papers: Part 1 Asian and Islamic Paper"
Saint Denis
April 7-10, 2014

Speaker: Gangolf Ulbrich, paper maker, Berlin

Participants: conservators of paper, curators

Gangolf Ulbricht is a paper-maker based in Berlin which specialized
in the production of hand-made papers of high qualities for
conservation treatments and for artists.  He developed in particular
the "Berlin Tissue" an extremely fine paper of 2g/m2.  With fibers
of kozo and mitsumata which can be used first side and/or reverse
for practically invisible restorations and as glued paper for
restorations on iron gall ink in particular.

In this course we will learn about historical papermaking starting
in China, Nepal, Thailand, Korea and Japan.  Included films will
show daily practices throughout Asia.

For deep understanding we will make references sheets in various
techniques and different raw materials using traditional tools.

Theory and praxis go together and guide us to a deeper understanding
about papers, its wide variety, its making and
qualities/characteristics, which is necessary to develop our daily
work with paper, to identify where a paper comes from or how we
should treat a paper.

We will learn basics for daily routine including microscopy.

The participants can bring own material for discussion.

Language: English

Price: 840 Euro

Registration form to send to

    Laetitia Letendard
    Institut national du patrimoine
    departement des restaurateurs
    150 avenue du President Wilson
    93210 Saint-Denis la Plaine, France.

Information: +33 1 49 46 57 04

Field: conserve cultural heritage

Laetitia Letendard
Chargee de l'organisation de la formation permanente
Institut National du Patrimoine
Departement des Restaurateurs
150 avenue du President Wilson
93 210 Saint-Denis La Plaine