Subject: Cleaning lead type

Cleaning lead type

From: Patrick Storme <patrick.storme<-a>
Date: Thursday, January 30, 2014
    >From Alayne Alvis

Toxicity with lead cleaning is indeed an issue.  The type of lead is
also very sensitive to chemical corrosion, especially with organic
acids. A high concentration of antimony has a higher corrosion rate
if the tin content is low or not present at all.  Also, in some
cases there can be intergranular corrosion, which implies not to use
ultrasonic baths.

In any case, electrolytic cleaning should be considered as a safe
way to treat the objects and to minimise health risks.

A number of publications exist on this, most recommended C. Degrigny
and V. Costa as authors.  Preliminary tests should be carried out on
some of the types first and studied at least by microscopic means.
Correct rinsing and drying after treatment is important, as also the
correct storage in a VOC-free atmosphere.

For more specific information on type composition and corrosion it
is possible to contact me.

Patrick Storme
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Conservation Studies
University of Antwerp
Blindestraat 9
B-2000 Antwerpen

From: Jeanne Drewes <Drewes <jdre<-a t->loc< . >gov>
Subject: Web resources at Library of Congress

In speaking with a number of people at the ALA Midwinter conference
I learned that some information that may be of interest does not
seem to be widely known.  At the Library of Congress there are a
number of resources we regularly update or provide that may be of
assistance as you update your own resources.

I can point you to a generic contract for disaster recovery services
which I helped with and then made generic to share on the web
through FEDLINK which is where you will find it at

    <URL:http://www.loc.gov/flicc/about/FLICC%20WGs/diasterprepwg.html>

You may also want to look at the insurance valuation at

    <URL:http://www.loc.gov/flicc/about/FLICC%20WGs/diaster/FLICC%20Disaster%20Recovery%20Contract%20Guidelines.pdf>

The Preservation Directorate at the Library of Congress has made a
commitment to update these values every two years and to retain the
earlier years valuation files.

Jeanne Drewes
Chief
Binding and Collections Conservation/ Deacidification Program
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave. S.E.
202-707-5330
Fax: 202-707-3434