Subject: Costume Society of America (CSA) events--addendum

Costume Society of America (CSA) events--addendum

From: Brenna Barks <csawr.publicity<-a>
Date: Wednesday, January 15, 2014
A little over a month ago, I shared the Costume Society of America,
Western Region's calendar of events with you. We now have the dates
for those events previously listed as "to be announced". We
sincerely hope we will see many of you there.

Western Costume and FIDM
Los Angeles, CA
March 15, 2014

    Legendary Western Costume is one of the oldest and largest
    costume companies in the world. It is so integral to Hollywood
    film and TV production that it is impossible to conceive of
    Hollywood existing without Western. We will have a special tour
    of the facilities guided by Bobi Garland, head of the Research
    Library. To compliment our immersion into the world of Hollywood
    costume, we will have a Meet-Up in the afternoon to view the
    annual Academy Award Costumes Exhibit at the FIDM Museum.

    Curator and CSA Member, Meghan Hanson has agreed to lead an
    informal tour of the exhibit. Since its inception in 1992, the
    exhibition has annually honored the incredible creativity of
    costume designers in the film industry.

Art Conservation de Rigueur
San Francisco, CA
July 19, 2014

    The world of conservation and preservation is something that all
    of us are concerned with as students of costume in all its
    iterations. This program will help us to understand the
    complexities involved in collections care that helps to preserve
    these ephemeral and historical objects. Our visit to the studio
    of Art Conservation de Rigueur et Anoxia Abatement Solutions
    will feature techniques being used on current projects, in
    addition, Elise Rousseau, Principle Conservator, will give us an
    exclusive look at objects from various Private Collections.

Los Angeles County Museum of Art
Los Angeles, CA
September 6, 2014

    Kimono for a Modern Age, 1900 - 1960 features more than thirty
    robes that reflect the rapidly changing cultural conditions in
    Japan during the first half of the twentieth century. A majority
    of the garments on display are made from a type of silk
    plain-weave fabric known as meisen ('ma-sen). Meisen kimono
    often incorporated vividly colored designs inspired by modern
    aesthetics and Western art movements. Sharon S. Takeda, Senior
    Curator and Head of the Department of Costume and Textiles, will
    present a fully illustrated lecture in LACMA's Brown Auditorium
    followed by a self-guided tour of the exhibition in the Pavilion
    for Japanese Art.

Call for Papers
"From the Street to the Catwalk, Cultural
influences on Contemporary Fashion"
Western Region Symposium and Annual Business Meeting
Portland, OR
Oct 11-13, 2014

Papers deadline June 15, 2014. Details available at

    <URL:http://www.costumesocietyamerica.com> in early 2014.

2014 Meet-Ups

    "Deities, Demons, and Teachers of Tibet, Nepal, and India"
    Berkeley Museum of Art
    Berkeley, CA
    Feb 8, 2014

    "Smocking; Fabric Manipulation and Beyond"
    Lacis Museum of Lace and Textiles
    Berkeley, CA
    March 22, 2014

    "Bound to Impress: Corsets from the Helen Larson Historic Fashion
        Collection"
    FIDM Museum and Galleries
    Irvine at FIDM Orange County, CA
    May 17, 2014

For more information or to submit formal program or 'Meet-Up' ideas,
contact Mary Gibson <marygibsonwrcsa<-a t->yahoo< . >com>

Other 2014 Events of Note:

    CSA National Symposium
    Baltimore, MD
    May 28-31, 2014

    ITAA Symposium
    Charlotte, NC
    November 11-14, 2014

    AAM
    Seattle, WA
    May 18-21, 2014

    TSA Symposium
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sept 10-14, 2014

    ICOM Costume Committee
    TBA

    AASLH
    St Paul, M
    Sept 17-20, 2014

Membership:

    Individual: $75 - $95

    Sustaining: $165
    (Includes charitable contribution)

    Special Western Region Student Discount: $55--on sale now for
    $35. (see Region V awards/scholarships at

    Ways to join CSA: visit
    <URL:http://www.costumesocietyamerica.com> or contact

        Nancy Bryant
        WR Membership Chair
        nancybryant47<-a t->gmail< . >com
        1-800-272-9447

Brenna Barks, MSc
Publicity Chair, Costume Society of America
Western Region

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 29, 2014