Subject: Removing pressure sensitive tape from paper

Removing pressure sensitive tape from paper

From: Ellen Pearlstein <epearlstein<-a>
Date: Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Grace White <grace.white<-a t->duke< . >edu> writes

>I am in the process of treating a chromolithograph map from 1890 on
>thin, brittle paper that is almost like newsprint.  It has extensive
>transparent pressure-sensitive tape on the front and back.  ...
>For solvents, I have tested water, ethanol, acetone and toluene.
>Acetone applied directly with a cotton swab moderately softens the
>adhesive to allow insertion of a knife beneath the carrier, ...

Robin O'Hern and I recently co-published a study outlining tests of
methods used for the removal of pressure sensitive tape from leather
bound books.  The link to that paper is

    <URL:http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/7AFHPYP8MfEBVwFzGBWr/full#.UswvhLTlcpY>

I hope this helps.

Ellen Pearlstein
UCLA Information Studies and UCLA/Getty Conservation Program

                Distributed: Saturday, January 11, 2014