Subject: Removing pressure sensitive tape from paper

Removing pressure sensitive tape from paper

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013
Grace White <grace.white<-a t->duke< . >edu> writes

>I am in the process of treating a chromolithograph map from 1890 on
>thin, brittle paper that is almost like newsprint.  It has extensive
>transparent pressure-sensitive tape on the front and back.  ...
>For solvents, I have tested water, ethanol, acetone and toluene.
>Acetone applied directly with a cotton swab moderately softens the
>adhesive to allow insertion of a knife beneath the carrier, ...

R. Ann Sheldon and I published work we had done on removing
self-adhesive and other tapes from paper in Restaurator, volume 13,
number 1, 1992: 1-22.  We include a brief summary of published
methods to remove tapes with an extensive annotated bibliography.
You might find it of use.  It can be downloaded free from Research
Gate under my name.

Niccolo Caldararo, Ph.D.
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service