Subject: Food found in archaeological environments

Food found in archaeological environments

From: Teresa Navarro Gomez <tnavarrogomez<-at->
Date: Monday, December 20, 2010
I am doing research on the conservation of food remains found in
archaeological environments. The goal of my project is to identify
and/or develop the best methods to preserve  food remains, once they
are excavated.  I want to develop these methods and guidelines
particularly to protect the viability of this material for future
analysis.

First of all, I am trying to find out what kind of food remains or
foodstuffs are being found and what are the environments in which
they were found (dry, waterlogged, frozen, etc.). In second place, I
would like to know what conservation procedures are followed by
conservators when they come across this kind of remains and the
reasons why they choose those methods amongst others.

I have searched the literature but there is very little on the
subject from the direction I am approaching it, so any information
or references will be most welcome.

Teresa Navarro Gomez
Getty Antiquities Conservation Intern, 2011

                 Distributed: Monday, December 20, 2010