Subject: Removing shrink wrap from books

Removing shrink wrap from books

From: Donald Farren <dfarren<-at->
Date: Sunday, December 19, 2010
Tara Kennedy <tara.d.kennedy [at] yale__edu> writes

>Yale is processing a 2 million volume collection in preparation for
>sending it to our off-site high density storage facility.  Many of
>the volumes are in poor condition and they are being shrink wrapped
>As these volumes return from our storage facility, our circulation
>staff will need to remove the shrink wrap from the volumes before
>giving them to patrons.  Has anyone written up instructions or
>guidelines as to how the shrink wrap is to be removed? Do people
>have experience using a particular tool that has worked well for
>easy and safe shrink wrap removal?

As a former commissioner of conservation work and now ,retired from
curatorial responsibilities, a continuing and admiring recipient
(consumer, so to speak) of conservation work, I would like to learn
more about releasing pieces from shrink wrapping.  I find myself
(perhaps dexterity challenged) exercising extreme caution when
removing shrink wrapping from pieces even in the best of condition
for fear of injuring the contents. Under the circumstances, I am
much heartened to receive the recommendation of the Presto Letter
Opener.

The issues are:

    Should responsibility for removing shrink wrapping be granted
    readers, or should that responsibility be retained at an issuing
    location?

    If responsibility is granted readers, should written guidelines
    for removing shrink wrapping be issued that readers would
    acknowledge receiving in writing (akin to instructions for
    materials handling that special collections facilities require
    applicants for admission to acknowledge)?

    If responsibility is retained at an issuing location should
    training of personnel at the issuing location be conducted by
    conservators?

    Should guidelines and training include instructions specifically
    for properly wielding such an instrument as the
    Presto Letter Opener?

Clearly, as already has been stated, any wrapped item issued should
be evaluated for repair or replacement.

Donald Farren
4009 Bradley Lane
Chevy Chase, MD 20815 5238