Subject: Ultraviolet-cured adhesive for glass

Ultraviolet-cured adhesive for glass

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp<-at->
Date: Monday, December 20, 2010
Maud Schermer <maud_schermer [at] hotmail__com> writes

>...  I would like to
>know if someone has good experiences with UV adhesives and mending
>glass. For this flat glass object that is painted on both sides, I
>need an adhesive that cures quickly.  I can't use the normal
>slow-curing epoxies (Hxtal or Fynebond), because I can't use tape to
>hold it. (Tape might damage the paint).  I have heard some negative
>response about UV adhesives: that it doesn't look right in terms of
>the refractive index; that it can have air bubbles in it; and that
>long term effects are perhaps not good (yellowing). Does anyone have
>good experiences with a specific kind of UV adhesive (with good
>aging properties)?

Epoxies can be very effective in gluing flat glass if you wait until
the epoxy has reached a thicker, more viscous state.  Usually the
fragments of the slide are taped on the non-image side. Alternatives
to tape are tiny dots of wax. or silicone, that can be removed
later. Even cast silicone sheet, cut and placed across the join, can
hold the pieces in position while the adhesive sets.

As for UV setting adhesives, Norland Optical is probably the best
recommendation:

    <URL:http://www.norlandprod.com/adhesives/noa%2061.html>

NOA 61 is probably their best, but they have numerous types. There
is still the risk that the adhesive will "bleed" to the image side,
and of course, the pieces need to be perfectly aligned before the UV
curing.

Stephen Koob
Chief Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass