Subject: Helen Shenton appointed executive director, Harvard Library

Helen Shenton appointed executive director, Harvard Library

From: Peter Kosewski <peter_kosewski<-at->
Date: Monday, December 20, 2010
Harvard Library Board today named Helen Shenton as the first
executive director of the new Harvard Library, turning to a veteran
of the British Library to develop a more coordinated management
structure for the oldest library in the Western Hemisphere.

The decision came at the first meeting of the new board, which will
oversee the work of the executive director as it reviews strategic
plans for the new system and establishes a funding model to support
it.

   "Helen believes strongly, as do I, that academic libraries must
    not only collect and preserve materials and offer expert
    guidance to students and faculty alike, but must also be engines
    of innovation in this exciting time of change," said Provost
    Steven E. Hyman, chair of the Harvard Library Board. "I look
    forward to working closely with Helen as we transform the
    greatest university library of the last century into the
    flagship university library of the 21st."

Full story:

  <URL:http://news.harvard.edu/
    gazette/story/2010/12/library-board-names-executive-director/>

Related stories:

10 named to new Harvard Library Board

  <URL:http://news.harvard.edu/
    gazette/story/2010-12-10-named-to-new-harvard-library-board/>

Renewing Harvard's library system

    <URL:http://news.harvard.edu/
        gazette/story/2010/12/renewing-harvards-library-system/>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URLs have been wrapped for
email. There should be no newlines. For more information, please
contact my colleague

    Kevin Galvin
    Harvard Public Affairs and Communications
    617-495-1585
    kevin_galvin<-at->harvard<.>edu

Peter Kosewski
Director, Publications and Communications
Harvard University Library
Wadsworth House--1341 Mass. Avenue
Cambridge, MA  02138
617-495-7793