Subject: Removing shrink wrap from books

Removing shrink wrap from books

From: Peter Verheyen <pdverhey<-at->
Date: Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Tara Kennedy <tara.d.kennedy [at] yale__edu> writes

>Yale is processing a 2 million volume collection in preparation for
>sending it to our off-site high density storage facility.  Many of
>the volumes are in poor condition and they are being shrink wrapped
>(instead of boxed) as a cost-effective measure for consolidating
>loose boards, spines, pages, etc.
>
>As these volumes return from our storage facility, our circulation
>staff will need to remove the shrink wrap from the volumes before
>giving them to patrons.  Has anyone written up instructions or
>guidelines as to how the shrink wrap is to be removed? Do people
>have experience using a particular tool that has worked well for
>easy and safe shrink wrap removal?

We do shrink wrapping in our collections, including items on the
shelves that have not been moved to off-site--we're still working
on getting that.

Wrapped items have slips that indicate date wrapped, note that item
is brittle..., and return to a service point for rewrapping when
done. Patrons can unwrap and service points will as well. No
problems with that. If a wrapped item is checked out we will
reevaluate for repair or replacement.

In terms of tools, I have found that letter openers like the one
below are effective, safe, and easy to use.

    <URL:http://www.amazon.com/
        Presto-Letter-Opener-Package-5/dp/B002BG4Y44>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Hope this helps,

Peter D. Verheyen