Subject: Commemorative loaf of french bread

Commemorative loaf of french bread

From: Simon Moore <couteaufin<-at->
Date: Thursday, December 16, 2010
Susan Blakney <susan [at] westlakeconservators__com> writes

>How can one preserve a magnificently sculpted/decorated country
>French loaf (round, about 2.2 kilos, composed of almost-whole
>wheat--French type 110--, water, salt, and a natural leaven, known
>to some as sour dough). It was fashioned in France to commemorate a
>grand occasion here in Ithaca, NY and we would like to preserve it
>beyond the natural "staling" life of the loaf. Can it be varnished,
>stained or otherwise treated? Given our lack of dexterity and
>experience, we need sage advice and a simple solution.

I have  found that freeze-drying bread and/or biscuits preserves
them well, followed by  consolidation with 5% paraloid B72 (in
acetone).  The dilute strength  obviates a glossy finish and is
enough to prevent future crumbling.

If freeze-drying is not an option, then controlled drying in a warm
incubator 30 deg. C.  Keep weighing the loaf daily until it loses no
more  weight, then consolidate as before.

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural  Sciences,
20 Newbury Street,
Whitchurch RG28 7DN.