Subject: Wood borer infestation

Wood borer infestation

From: J. Bryan Blundell <jbb<-at->
Date: Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Jennifer Brian <jenniferfbrian [at] gmail__com> writes

>I have come across a large pine log (approximately 1m diameter, 2.5m
>long) with borer infestation. The log is too large for any freezer
>that I have access to and we do not want to use pesticides as it is
>to subsequently be used. I was wondering whether anyone has
>undertaken anoxic, or black bag, treatment of any large wooden
>objects, and how effective they were on objects with a small surface
>area to volume ratio.  If they are ineffective, do you have any
>suggestions for other appropriate treatments?  The treatment will be
>undertaken in-situ before the log is moved for seasoning.

The use of a DOT (Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate) product such as
BoraCare would be a good option. Toxicity LD50 is about the same as
table salt. Migrates into the wood. With a proper application, very
effective in dealing with wood boring insects and decay fungi.

Bryan Blundell
Technical Support
PRG, Inc.

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 19, 2010