Subject: Commemorative loaf of french bread

Commemorative loaf of french bread

From: Susan Blakney <susan<-at->
Date: Wednesday, December 8, 2010
The following is posted on behalf of a client.

How can one preserve a magnificently sculpted/decorated country
French loaf (round, about 2.2 kilos, composed of almost-whole
wheat--French type 110--, water, salt, and a natural leaven, known
to some as sour dough). It was fashioned in France to commemorate a
grand occasion here in Ithaca, NY and we would like to preserve it
beyond the natural "staling" life of the loaf. Can it be varnished,
stained or otherwise treated? Given our lack of dexterity and
experience, we need sage advice and a simple solution.

    Steven Laurence Kaplan
    Goldwin Smith, Professor of European History
    Cornell University
    Department of History McGraw Hall
    Ithaca, NY 14853
    stevenlkaplan<-at->cornell<.>edu