Subject: Heat set paper

Heat set paper

From: Beverley Lambert <lambert93<-at->
Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Theresa Fairbanks-Harris <theresa.fairbanks-harris [at] yale__edu>
writes

>We are trying to find the company that makes heat set paper using
>medium weight Japanese paper and a synthetic adhesive.  Not Neschen
>or Library of Congress. Does anyone know who makes this type of heat
>set?

At The Rooms Provincial Archives (Newfoundland, Canada), and in
private practise, we use "Filmoplast R " heat set tissue.  The
restriction is size, widest is only 12" It also comes in 3/4 inch
rolls. It is available from most of the archival suppliers in
N.America, such as Carr McLean in Canada, and or Gaylord in US.
Filmoplast probably supplies UK and Europe as well.

For larger jobs we use an acrylic heat set tissue, which by the way
is invisible to laser for scanning, and therefore preferable for
that use.

Beverley Lambert
Historic objects, art, and archival Conservator
St. John's, Newfoundland
Canada

                 Distributed: Friday, December 3, 2010