Subject: 78 rpm records

78 rpm records

From: Fiona Cahill <fc322<-at->
Date: Tuesday, November 23, 2010
In our reserve collection we have 32 78 rpm gramophone records taken
on a particular expedition in the 1930's. I am looking into possible
storage solutions for the records, something along the lines of a
concertina file to keep them all together rather than wrapping them
individually. Does such a thing exist? I would be grateful for any
suggestions on the best way pack these items for storage. I also
want to clean them before putting them back into store. We have a
record shop in Cambridge that still sells vinyl and I was going to
get a record cleaning cloth from there. Are they suitable for
cleaning shellac records?

Fiona Cahill
Conservator
Scott Polar Research Institute