Subject: Humidifiers in collections storage areas

Humidifiers in collections storage areas

From: Peter Juga <peter.juga<-at->
Date: Friday, November 19, 2010
Stephanie Gowler <sgowler [at] library__in__gov> writes

>Our main archives stacks area (approximately 22,000 square feet)
>suffers from extremely low relative humidity during the dry winter
>months. ...

It is difficult to advise you on the basis of what you have said as
one would need to know the height of the room to calculate the
volume of the room minus the shelving volume (depends on how
shelves' space is used). And then one needs to know the air exchange
rate in this particular room to compute the amount of air needed. I
would suggest seeking an advice from your local air conditioning
engineers for estimated quotation.

For a twice smaller storage room with 3/4 of the volume filled with
shelving units we currently using 2 PurLine HA147(now known as Hydro
60) humidifiers.

    <URL:http://www.purline.com/
        sitewinanglais/produits/hum/HYDRO60_EN.pdf>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

(Apologies for not knowing are they actually available in US.)

One is plugged into water mains and another is mobile unit filled
manually every day on high speed or every 2.5 days on low fan speed
(water consumption ca. 50 liters a day). There is only one minus to
add that ours lasted two years of being constantly (365 day/year)
used.

Hope it shed some light on 'budget option' for your problem.

Peter Juga
Conservator
Seven Stories
Newcastle/Gateshead