Subject: Humidifiers in collections storage areas

Humidifiers in collections storage areas

From: Stephanie Gowler <sgowler<-at->
Date: Friday, November 12, 2010
Our main archives stacks area (approximately 22,000 square feet)
suffers from extremely low relative humidity during the dry winter
months. I'm still trying to determine if it will be possible to
lower the temperature in this area of the building (it's a steady
68-70 deg. F year-round); in the meantime, I'm investigating
alternative ways to regulate the RH. I'd be very interested to hear
from anyone who is using portable/stand-alone humidifiers in
collections storage areas. Any comments you have on preferred type
(evaporative, ultrasonic, etc.), ability to achieve and maintain
even moisture distribution, costs, or other considerations would be
much appreciated.

Stephanie I Gowler
Conservator
Indiana State Library
Indiana Commission on Public Records
6440 E. 30th St.
Indianapolis IN 46219
317-591-5220, ext. 376

                Distributed: Thursday, November 18, 2010