Subject: Confirming active electrolysis on bronze sculpture

Confirming active electrolysis on bronze sculpture

From: Dennis Baltuskonis <dab.conservation<-at->
Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010
    author.  Comments of general interest are also welcome for
    posting.

I need help and a referral from anyone familiar with confirming
active electrolysis in an existing bronze sculpture.  Trinity
University has a bronze sculpture with water fountain elements which
has been very problematic from its installation in 2005.  Thick blue
colored crystalline deposits (probably copper chloride) form on the
surface of the bronze within a month following cleaning.  Protective
coatings of Incralac and/or wax do not prevent these deposits.

We suspect that the construction inadvertently has dissimilar metals
in contact with each other.  We would like to demonstrate
definitively that active electrolysis is ongoing.  If you have any
experience in dealing with these types of sculptures please contact
me directly. I can send images if needed. Trinity University will
probably hire you to fix the problem, if it can be fixed.

Dennis Baltuskonis
Art Conservation Services

                Distributed: Thursday, November 18, 2010