Subject: Klean Clay

Klean Clay

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp<-at->
Date: Monday, November 8, 2010
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] aim__com> writes

>I have been using a product called "Klean Clay"
><URL:http://www.kleanklay.com/> for making small
>molds and dams when restoring ceramics and have had no problems
>until recently.  I had thought that this product did not contain
>staining oils; however, when I recently used it on a Greek kylix, I
>found that it did leave a stain on a small area of unslipped
>ceramic.  I was able to remove the stain with mineral spirit
>poultices, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem
>with this product and/or whether anyone knows if the manufacturer
>has changed the formula and if so, whether anyone knows of a safe
>alternative non-drying clay.

I have been recommending Harbutt's gray (grey) plasticine for over
30 years, ever since Benner Larsen recommended it for casting and
molding.  It is a wax-based plasticine, which takes excellent
impressions, and unless it gets VERY warm, does not stain. It is a
good practice to never leave plasticine on a surface longer than
needed, and never leave it on an object outdoors in the sun.

Conservation Resources carries Harbutt's.

Stephen Koob
Chief Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way
Corning, NY 14830
607-974-8228
Fax: 607-974-8470

                Distributed: Thursday, November 18, 2010