Subject: Klean Clay

Klean Clay

From: Susan White <smwhitewhite<-at->
Date: Saturday, October 30, 2010
I have been using a product called "Klean Clay"
<URL:http://www.kleanklay.com/> for making small
molds and dams when restoring ceramics and have had no problems
until recently.  I had thought that this product did not contain
staining oils; however, when I recently used it on a Greek kylix, I
found that it did leave a stain on a small area of unslipped
ceramic.  I was able to remove the stain with mineral spirit
poultices, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem
with this product and/or whether anyone knows if the manufacturer
has changed the formula and if so, whether anyone knows of a safe
alternative non-drying clay.

Susan White
White Conservation Services

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 7, 2010