Subject: Survey on work-related injury in painting conservation

Survey on work-related injury in painting conservation

From: Paul Gardener <paulgardener<-at->
Date: Sunday, October 31, 2010
Survey and article on work-related joint/muscle strain and injury in
painting conservation

Work-related injury is a very common problem, ranging from concerns
such as dermatitis or asthma, to eye and chronic/long-term
musculoskeletal (tendon/muscular/joint) complaints from either
'repetitive strain' or physical injury.

With regard to musculoskeletal complaints, little has been
documented in relation to Paintings Conservation. It is likely,
however, that Conservators experience any number of commonly
recognised tendon, muscle and joint conditions as a consequence of
specific ways of working.

We intend to cover this subject in the next issue of 'The Picture
Restorer'. To inform the content of this article, and to make it as
meaningful as possible to the readership, the authors are
undertaking a survey of as many Painting Conservators as possible.
The article will introduce the concept of work-related injury and
repetitive strain, and then focus on key regions of the body, giving
examples of symptoms and common diagnoses, as well as treatment
options.

Even if your symptoms have been mild or have been resolved, we would
like to hear from you. We are not asking you for any personal
details and as such the audit will be completely anonymous.

We would be extremely grateful if you would take the time to
complete a questionnaire and return it electronically by 30 November
2010, as per the instructions. The questionnaire can be found online
at:

  <URL:http://www.thepicturerestorer.co.uk/www.thepicturerj.html>

Dr Alan J Hakim
Consultant Physician and Rheumatologist