Subject: Workshop on Islamic bookbinding

Workshop on Islamic bookbinding

From: Erin Albritton <ealbritton<-at->
Date: Monday, November 1, 2010
The New York Chapter of the Guild of Book Workers presents:

Islamic Bookbinding
A Workshop with Katherine Beaty
December 3-5, 2010
9:30 a.m. - 5:30 pm

At the Gladys Brooks Book and Paper Conservation Laboratory, The New
York Academy of Medicine

For more information or to register, please contact Erin Albritton
<ealbritton<-at->nyam<.>org> or call 212-822-7364

Workshop Fee:  $250 (GBW members)/$300 (non-members)
Materials Fee:  $55

Class Description: During this three day workshop, we will construct
an Islamic style binding.  Each student will sew their textblock
utilizing an Islamic style chain stitch topped with showy chevron
endbands.  Our models will be covered in full leather with the
characteristic fore edge flap.  We will decorate our models with
medallion and corner stamps embellished with shell gold painting.
Finally, our bindings will be attached with burnished paste papers.
Through these exercises, students should expect to gain an
understanding of the mechanics of Islamic bookbinding structure, as
well as potential conservation problems.  Intermediate level
bookbinding experience recommended.

Instructor Bio:

    Katherine Beaty received a BFA in studio arts from the
    University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and an MA in art
    conservation from Buffalo State College.  She began her book and
    conservation training at Etherington Conservation Center in
    Greensboro, NC.  Since graduate school, Katherine has had
    special interest in Islamic materials and book structures,
    treating a wide number of Islamic materials at the Library of
    Congress, as well as for the libraries at Harvard University,
    where she is currently employed as a book conservator for
    special collections.

Please find directions to The New York Academy of Medicine at
<URL:http://www.nyam.org/about/directions.shtml>

Erin Albritton
Book Conservator
Gladys Brooks Book and Paper Conservation Laboratory
The New York Academy of Medicine
1216 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY  10029
212-822-7364