Subject: Storing motion picture film

Storing motion picture film

From: Cliff Gothorp <cliff<-at->
Date: Monday, November 1, 2010
Anna Shepherd <akshepherd [at] gmail__com> writes

>We are currently in the process of preparing several hundred reels
>of polyvinyl film for permanent storage. The films will be stored in
>an environment of approximately 5 deg. C and approximately 40%
>relative humidity. The cases of the films are comprised of metal,
>cardboard and leather. Those films with metal cases will be stored
>in the original case, however the leather and cardboard cases will
>be stored separately, therefore we are searching for a provider of
>appropriate conservation grade storage boxes/canisters for films.
>The reels vary in size from 20cm to 28cm diameter. Can anyone give
>any advice on the most appropriate material? We have been advised
>that both polypropylene and acid free boxes are most commonly used
>for film storage. Also, can anyone provide a supplier here in Europe
>who can dispatch to Norway?

Pel is the European distributor for Stil Design of Canada who
manufacture polypropylene film containers used by film archives. We
ship to archives worldwide, not only film containers but over 10,000
other products for archival storage and conservation. If
conservators enter the product into our product search facility on
our website <URL:http://www.pel.eu> they should find what they are
looking for.

Cliff Gothorp
Managing Director