Subject: Bed bugs

Bed bugs

From: Rose-lee Power <heritage<-at->
Date: Thursday, November 4, 2010
William Minter <wminter [at] pennswoods__net> writes

>I had a query from one of my library clients:
>
>   "We haven't had trouble with bedbugs in books yet, but expect we
>    may eventually. We are wondering what the word is for treating
>    them.

It is not always possible to dispose of items; we have heard that
the following works. (I have tried it for other insect infestations
and it has worked extremely well).

    Place the item in a black plastic bag (we use black garbage
    bags)

    Seal the bag tight with ties or tape (that will handle sunlight
    and heat, we use packing tape).

    Place the bagged item in the sun for as many hours as you can
    (we do this for at least two days)

    Remove the item from the bag and vacuum/clean it and throw away
    the bag.

Note: this does not work in cold/colder weather.

Hope this is helpful to you

Rose-lee Power
Adventist Heritage Centre
Australia