Subject: UV filter for digital camera

UV filter for digital camera

From: Amber Tarnowski <amber.tarnowski<-at->
Date: Thursday, November 4, 2010
Nicolas Cretois <cretoisnico [at] yahoo__fr> writes

>Would anyone have any advice/suggestion about photography under UV
>light with a digital camera? We used to have an analogue camera with
>a UV Wratten filter but they have all been replaced with digital
>cameras (Nikon D90 and D300). I tried to adjust the white balance
>but the result is not completely satisfactory. I am wondering if a
>UV filter on a digital camera would work, is so, where could we get
>it from?

Most new digital cameras have a built in UV filter to eliminate
atmospheric UV (which causes confusion for those of us transitioning
from SLR's to digital SLR's). New digital cameras can be fitted with
Kodak Wratten 2A or 2E filters for UV photos not quite as
satisfactory as ones achieved with film. Older digital cameras that
do not have any internal UV filter, such as the older Canon
Powershot S3, can have the settings adjusted for very satisfactory
UV photos with a filter taped to drape over the lens. We have
several different cameras we have tried for UV and have consulted
tech reps at the manufacturer to obtain the custom settings that
optimize UV photography.

Amber L. Tarnowski
Objects Conservator
Carlisle, PA, USA