Subject: Holograms

Holograms

From: Marie-Chantale Poisson <marie-chantale.poisson<-at->
Date: Thursday, October 28, 2010
We are examining an installation work by Michael Snow from 1985,
which contains 2 holographic images (approximately 16 x 20cm each)
encased in wooden frames and glazed.  There are issues with the
images being veiled by surface dirt, or perhaps condensation stuck
between the glass and the holographic plates; they need to be opened
for assessment, however we would like to know more about the
materials before we go further.

The main issue is that we are not sure whether the holographic
plates have an emulsion or not, and if so, what type would it be?

We are questioning the possibility that the ghosting effect of the
images could me caused by the emulsion adhering to the glass.
Preliminary research in the production of holograms shows that it
was still an experimental process in the 1980s and the pieces could,
or could not have an emulsion.

If you have any experience in the examination and/or treatment of
holograms, it would be greatly appreciated.

Marie-Chantale Poisson
Conservator or sculptures
Centre de Conservation du Quebec

                 Distributed: Friday, October 29, 2010