Subject: Animal glue and EVA in book and paper conservation

Animal glue and EVA in book and paper conservation

From: Eleanor Russell <eleanor.russell<-at->
Date: Wednesday, October 27, 2010
The British Library is currently carrying out an internal review on
adhesives used in the conservation of books, paper and other library
materials.

We are particularly looking into the use of animal glues and EVA
(ethyl vinyl acetate) and wondered how other conservators and
institutions regard these adhesives.

There does not seem to be much recent scientific research carried
out on the detrimental effects of animal glue or EVA as conservation
adhesives. There is a lot of antipathy towards animal glue for a
variety of reasons and our own tests have shown there is evidence of
acidic off-gassing from EVA. We are conducting more tests regarding
the aging properties of these two adhesives.

If you know of any research we can consult please advise, and your
opinion/experience on the matter would be invaluable. Specifically:

    Do you currently use animal glue in book conservation? If no,
    why not?

    Do you currently use EVA in book conservation? If no, why not?

    If yes to either of these where would you apply them? i.e.
    directly on the spine?

    What are the advantages of using these adhesives?

    If you don't use these directly on objects then what would you
    use instead?

    Why do you use this alternative as opposed to animal glue and/or
    EVA?

Eleanor Russell
Paper Conservator
British Library