Subject: Storing motion picture film

Storing motion picture film

From: Anna Shepherd <akshepherd<-at->
Date: Wednesday, October 20, 2010
We are currently in the process of preparing several hundred reels
of polyvinyl film for permanent storage. The films will be stored in
an environment of approximately 5 deg. C and approximately 40%
relative humidity. The cases of the films are comprised of metal,
cardboard and leather. Those films with metal cases will be stored
in the original case, however the leather and cardboard cases will
be stored separately, therefore we are searching for a provider of
appropriate conservation grade storage boxes/canisters for films.
The reels vary in size from 20cm to 28cm diameter. Can anyone give
any advice on the most appropriate material? We have been advised
that both polypropylene and acid free boxes are most commonly used
for film storage. Also, can anyone provide a supplier here in Europe
who can dispatch to Norway?

Anna Shepherd
Objects Conservator
Bevaringstenestene