Subject: Acrylic in distilled water

Acrylic in distilled water

From: Alan J. Hawk <alan.hawk<-at->
Date: Thursday, October 14, 2010
I have a World War II era acrylic eye prosthesis dating stored in a
baby food jar with distilled water. Should I be concerned about the
water dissolving the eye?  Would there be any issues in taking the
eye out of the water?

Alan Hawk
Collections Manager, Historical Collections
National Museum of Health and Medicine
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
Bldg. 54, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Washington DC 20306 6000
Mailing address: PO Box 59685
Washington DC 20012 0685
202 782 2205, DSN 662 2205