Subject: Setting up a new conservation studio

Setting up a new conservation studio

From: Bettina Ebert <be<-at->
Date: Friday, October 1, 2010
I am in the process of establishing a conservation studio for
paintings and works on paper. It is envisaged that the maximum
number of staff will be four. Any advice that others who have gone
through the process of setting up a studio are willing to share
would be much appreciated.

The collection that I work for has around 1800 works of art. A large
proportion (over 1000) are small (A4) works on paper. The remainder
of the collection comprises medium-sized canvas paintings, silk
paintings, as well as lacquer paintings and large contemporary
canvases. However, I expect that the studio would also take on
commercial work.

I would be particularly interested in information regarding space
requirements, layout suggestions, experience, advice and
recommendations of any kind relating to establishing a new studio.

I have in mind a separate dirty room/workshop area and storage area.
For the conservation studio, I have in mind a office space for
computer work and administration. There should also be a spray booth
for varnishing. How large a space does this usually require? I
envisage an area with a fume hood and chemical storage, two easel
work stations, consumables and paper roll storage, some artwork
storage, space for photography (this could be a dedicated space or
with blackout curtains to cordon off space as and when needed),
sink, small fridge, small suction plate, several work tables on
wheels for flexible use of space, and a wet area for washing or wet
treatment of works on paper and silk. There will be a microscope,
mount cutter, space for framing and other common work.

Is 1000 square foot sufficient for what I have in mind? For paper
conservation, will I be needing a special washing sink, or are trays
sufficient? What other equipment is often in use for paper
conservation?

Bettina Ebert
Paintings Conservator
Asiarta Foundation
Conservation and Collections Care
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
+60 173 889 620

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 13, 2010