Subject: PAS 198 specification on environmental conditions for cultural collections

PAS 198 specification on environmental conditions for cultural collections

From: Nicola Harold <nicola.harold<-at->
Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2010
The following is posted on be half of Nancy Bell.

As previously announced on the DistList, work is in hand to produce
an interim standard on environmental conditions for cultural
collections (PAS 198). As part of this, we are collecting data on
damage functions from all sources known to our contributors. So that
we do not overlook any relevant evidence, we would also be grateful
if subscribers to the list could send us references known to them,
to work demonstrating a link between environmental conditions and
damage to materials.

Information can be published or unpublished. In the case of
unpublished data, e.g. where an institution has collected its own
data over a substantial period of time, we would welcome being
alerted to valid conclusions on damage which can be drawn from such
data.

The information sought will be relevant to the areas to be covered
by the PAS: temperature and RH, light and pollution, and relating to
objects in storage, on display and on loan (including in transit).

Our working definition of "damage function" is as follows:

   "The relationship between unacceptable changes in the chemical
    and physical integrity of a material, composite object or
    collection, and the presence of an agent of deterioration
    relative to its concentration and length of exposure. The term
    "agent of deterioration" for the purposes of this definition
    includes temperature, humidity, light, pollution, vibration
    etc."

Please send any references or data summaries to

    Susan Hughes <pas198_at_btopenworld_com>

Nancy Bell
Head of Collection Care
The National Archives
Ruskin Avenue
Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU
United Kingdom

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 13, 2010