Subject: Workshop on parchment making

Workshop on parchment making

From: Jesse Meyer <jesse<-at->
Date: Friday, September 3, 2010
Parchment and Vellum Making with Jesse Meyer
A Two-Day Field Trip to visit Pergamena and the Richard E. Meyer and
Sons Bookbinding leather Tannery in Montgomery, NY
November 5-6, 2010

   "That stouffe that we wrytte upon: and is made of beestis
    skynnes: is sometyme called parchment/ sometyme velem/ somtyme
    abortyve/ somtyme membraan." --Vulgaria uiri doctissimi Guil
    Hormani, 1519

Parchment, or vellum, is one of the oldest and most durable of
bookbinding materials, both as a covering material and as a text
support. It was the principle "plastic" material of the Middle Ages,
and remains one of the strongest, most sensuous, and most archival
of natural materials  available to the bookbinder and calligrapher.
Its alkalinity makes it an ideal material for conservation purposes.
Join Jesse and Karl and their staff for a field trip to the Richard
E. Meyer and Sons Tannery, where we will spend two days producing
vellum. On Friday we will be involved in "wet  work", taking the
fresh skins through the dehairing stage to the point of stretching
and scraping them on the frame. We will also learn about the dyeing
process. Saturday will be spent on the "dry work", the finishing
processes of the skins, and will end with sanding the skins to
proper thickness and trimming.

We will also get a tour of the complete tannery facilities which
produces vegetable tanned goat and calf leather perfect for
bookbinding. Jesse Meyer's family has been in the leather tannery
business for 450 years. They have been tanning in this country since
the early 1800's, and since the  1500's in Germany. Jesse brought
his lineage and expertise into the craft of parchment making.  For
years he has been the leading parchment maker  in the United States.

This event is both a unique opportunity and a rare bargain. Every
participant will come away with two vellum skins: one dyed goatskin
and one fair calf, not to mention all the binding leather available
for purchase.

Montgomery, NY is located about 1 and half hours from Manhattan.
Carpooling will be arranged from other areas.

A listing of hotels and B&Bs and hotels is provided below for those
wishing to stay over Friday night.

3 Bed and Breakfasts, in particular, are close by within the town of
Montgomery:

    Buck's Homestead Bed and Breakfast
    364 Goodwill Road, Montgomery
    <URL:http://www.buckshomestead.com>
    845-457-3457

    The Borland House
    130 Clinton Street, Montgomery
    845-457-1513
    <URL:http://www.theborlandhouse.com>

    Pioneer Cottage
    30 Paul Lane
    Walden NY 12586
    <URL:http://www.pioneercottage.com>

A list of other B&Bs can be found at

    <URL:http://www.new-york-inns.com>

and hotels:

    American Budget Inn    845-783-3211
    Comfort Inn            845-567-0567
    Marriott Courtyard     845-567-4800
    Howard Johnson         845-564-4000
    Ramada Inn             845-564-4500
    Holiday Inn            845-564-9020

A preview of Jesse's parchment making facilities and the Richard E.
Meyer and Sons Tannery can be seen at

    <URL:http://www.pergamena.net>

The workshop fee is: $300.
To register please contact Jesse at: