Subject: Elephant trunk ventilation systems

Elephant trunk ventilation systems

From: Robert Proctor <robert<-at->
Date: Thursday, August 19, 2010
Clare Manias <cmanias [at] mobia__org> writes

>I am interested on feedback from anyone who uses an elephant style
>fume extractor, what are its most useful features and its drawbacks,
>and what flow of air would be recommended for the extraction of
>solvents and cleaning of mold.

A sealed room with negative pressure with a downdraft table
exausting to the out-of-doors is recommended for any serious mold
remediation. As for your query,  I can highly recommend Extract. We
have 2 of the carbon only units for solvent extraction but they also
make Carbon/HEPA units. While no where near silent they are quieter
than most self contained systems and the price of replacing filters
is much lower than others. I would suggest purchasing a good HEPA
vacuum as well. They need not be expensive. We had several Hepa
vacuums tested by an industrial hygienist for detection of any stray
particulate leakage and our $200 Mighty Mite  performed the best,
even better than the $1,500+ model he was using. (Sanitaire or
Eureka, they are the same).

Robert Proctor
Whitten and Proctor Fine Art Conservation
1236 Studewood Street
Houston, TX 77008
713-426-0191  (phone/fax)

                  Distributed: Monday, August 30, 2010