Subject: Deteriorated PVC and photographs

Deteriorated PVC and photographs

From: Martin Juergens <post<-at->
Date: Sunday, August 29, 2010
Ruth Oliver <ruth.oliver [at] natlib__govt__nz> writes

>We have recently received some PVC albums that contain silver
>gelatin DOP prints. ...
>... The issue is
>how to remove the plasticiser from the prints to prevent it being
>transferred into the new albums.

We had a similar problem with a number of PVC-sleeve photo albums in
the Buddhist Archive of Photography in Luang Prabang, Laos. Although
blocked with the sleeves, the prints could be removed quite easily,
but were covered in a transparent, somewhat gooey substance. With
lack of virtually any way of further investigating this in that
remote setting, I found that the substance could be readily removed
with ethanol on swabs. I have revisited the prints over the course
of two years and haven't found any later deterioration relating to
my treatment. While two years in a tropical climate probably
translate to five or ten years in a climatized vault, it is of
course still a short time.

This treatment also worked on colour transparencies from
deteriorating PVC sleeves, by the way.

Martin Juergens
Restaurator fotografische materialen
Rijksmuseum Amsterdam