Subject: Elephant trunk ventilation systems

Elephant trunk ventilation systems

From: Clare Manias <cmanias<-at->
Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2010
I am considering an elephant trunk style fume extractor vs. a small
portable unit for use in a very small conservation lab. An elephant
trunk seems like a possible solution mostly for it's small
footprint, but also for the flexibility it would offer as to the
size of object (book) that could be worked on under it. Noise is
somewhat of an issue as is the fact that a non-enclosed extraction
unit and not the best solution for cleaning mold.

I am interested on feedback from anyone who uses an elephant style
fume extractor, what are its most useful features and its drawbacks,
and what flow of air would be recommended for the extraction of
solvents and cleaning of mold.

Clare Manias
Conservator of Rare Books
Museum of Biblical Art (MOBIA)