Subject: Deteriorated PVC and photographs

Deteriorated PVC and photographs

From: Ruth Oliver <ruth.oliver<-at->
Date: Friday, August 6, 2010
We have recently received some PVC albums that contain silver
gelatin DOP prints. Eight of the albums are actively deteriorating;
a coating of plasticiser, dirt and mould is visible on the covers of
the albums. The internal PVC sleeves have coated the prints with
plasticiser. Both the sleeves and photos are blocked to each other.
The images inside the deteriorating albums date from 1970-1972.

It should be straightforward to remove the prints from the sleeves
and transfer them to new albums made of insert plastic. The issue is
how to remove the plasticiser from the prints to prevent it being
transferred into the new albums.

I'm interested in treatment approaches from anyone who has been
faced with a similar situation and especially from anyone who has
carried out the removal of PVC plasticiser from silver gelatin
prints. I don't have access to analytical equipment (to identify the
plasticiser) and may need to experiment a little so treatment
information would be really helpful.

Ruth Oliver
Project Conservator - Photographic Media
Conservation Services
National Library of New Zealand
Wellington
New Zealand