Subject: Moving collection materials

Moving collection materials

From: Robin Gibson <robin.gibson1952<-at->
Date: Friday, August 13, 2010
Josephine Atkinson <josephine [at] bnm__gov__my> writes

>Does anyone have any experience with new buildings, or a knowledge
>of an established standard for a time-lag between the finish of
>construction and the migration of artifacts in terms of allowing
>HVAC systems to stabilise? ...

>From previous experience as a facilities manager in a Medical
Diagnostics company before becoming a conservation student, the main
M.E. or HVAC contractors should advise in their contracts when they
believe their systems have stabilised and demonstrate compliance to
the original spec through agreed documented independent handover
tests. You could however set up your own one or more
thermo-hygrographs or battery dataloggers to measure temperature and
relative humidity after the handover, I would estimate that 1-2
weeks would be adequate to reach optimum settings with all HVAC
equipment working properly, however it does depend somewhat on
building materials used and what confidence you have in the
contractors - previous contracts /  experience etc. Most large
projects however seem to have snags develop in the initial period
with complex HVAC systems and alarms and an additional 2 weeks
monitoring and testing may be desirable to prevent tears!

Robin Gibson
Conservation and restoration BA student
University of Lincoln

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 19, 2010