Subject: Marking glass

Marking glass

From: Jenny Hodgson <jenny.hodgson<-at->
Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Lynn Morrison <lmorrison [at] uttlesford__gov__uk> writes

>Has anyone got any advice on physically marking our Museum's
>collection of several hundred glass positives, negatives and lantern
>slides? They range in size from 2.5 inch square to  5 x 7 inch and
>date to the very early 20th century. So far I have pencilled the
>number and simple name on the Photosafe paper slip. But these come
>adrift and there could be 50 to a box, so data is lost, making
>searching for the image you want difficult. Pen and ink, or sticking
>a paper number on the non-emulsion side seems a bit severe.

I would recommend using a 4-flap enclosure made of Silversafe or
other photo-safe paper, leaving one flap slightly longer (about 1cm)
at the top edge for writing a number or information on. this will
offer your glass plates protection from abrasion etc. and when
stored upright in boxes, are easily identifiable and accessible.

Jenny Hodgson
NMR Conservator - photographic materials
English Heritage
National Monuments Record
Swindon
UK