Subject: Removing adhesive transfer tape

Removing adhesive transfer tape

From: Ben Hodgetts <antiquesman<-at->
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010
Anne T. Lane <alane [at] charlottemuseum__org> writes

>I have been asked to remove a collection of photographs from their
>mats in order to scan them and to replace old acidic matboard and
>backing with archival materials. I find that the photos have been
>adhered to the backs of the mats with adhesive transfer tape, and
>can't be removed mechanically without tearing them. Does anyone have
>a recommendation for a method to dissolve or at least soften this
>stuff so I can remove the photos safely? They are standard black and
>white photographs.

Care needs to be taken when using solvents/mechanical removal of
tape that the fibres of the backing photographs are not compromised.
First ascertain the brand name of the product. What are the known
products--carrier, adhesive, plasticizer etc.? A few suggestions
would be; vegetable gum,starch adhesives, animal glue, rubber based,
polyacrylates, hotmelt, synthetic polymer, cellulose nitrate,
cellulose acetate, even glue stick and white sticks such as 'UHU'.
>From here you will be able to use the correct solvent.

If using mechanical methods, try scalpel, Teflon coated spatulas,
heat/hot air. Water in such forms as humidification, poulticing,
steaming, immersion or enzymes can be used. Solvents can be used but
could effect the actual photographic material, try using ethanol,
isopropanol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, ethyl acetate, n-heptane,
cyclohexane, benzine, xylene, toluene, VM&P Naphtha, mineral spirits
or Stoddard solvents. As you can see it will be a hit and miss
affair unless you ascertain what the original material is.

Ben Hodgetts
Conservator
Australia

                  Distributed: Tuesday, August 3, 2010