Subject: Removing adhesive transfer tape

Removing adhesive transfer tape

From: Steven Prins <sprins1102<-at->
Date: Monday, July 19, 2010
Anne T. Lane <alane [at] charlottemuseum__org> writes

>I have been asked to remove a collection of photographs from their
>mats in order to scan them and to replace old acidic matboard and
>backing with archival materials. I find that the photos have been
>adhered to the backs of the mats with adhesive transfer tape, and
>can't be removed mechanically without tearing them. Does anyone have
>a recommendation for a method to dissolve or at least soften this
>stuff so I can remove the photos safely? They are standard black and
>white photographs.

Have you tried a Hot Air Tool?  Heat is often a very good way to
release old, pressure sensitive adhesives.  With adhesive transfer
tapes, i.e. no carrier, heat can also often be used to remove the
residual adhesive from the verso of the artwork, with the aid of a
rubber cement pick-up or crepe eraser.  Please drop me a line
off-line if you would like specifications for the SPC Hot Air Tool.
It might be just the thing for this job.

Otherwise you can try solvents.

Good luck,

Steven Prins
Conservator of Paintings