Subject: Removing adhesive transfer tape

Removing adhesive transfer tape

From: Anne T. Lane <alane<-at->
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2010
I have been asked to remove a collection of photographs from their
mats in order to scan them and to replace old acidic matboard and
backing with archival materials. I find that the photos have been
adhered to the backs of the mats with adhesive transfer tape, and
can't be removed mechanically without tearing them. Does anyone have
a recommendation for a method to dissolve or at least soften this
stuff so I can remove the photos safely? They are standard black and
white photographs.

Anne T Lane
Collections Manager
The Charlotte Museum of History