Subject: Terminology

Terminology

From: Daniela Murphy Corella <daniela<-at->
Date: Monday, July 12, 2010
Robert Lodge <mckaylodge [at] gmail__com> writes

>Can someone explain the process and material(s) a past Italian
>restorer would have meant in simply using the words "beverone a
>tergo" in the context of the reverse of a canvas?

Berverone is Italian slang (I believe specifically Tuscan slang)
which literally means a mushy hot drink.

In restoration jargon it refers to a mix of organic/protein based
glues applied on the back of a canvas to consolidate the preparation
and colour layers. Generally a beverone contains a mix of animal
skin glues, (rabbit and or oxen glue), honey/molasses /glycerin and
some sort of disinfectant.

The glue is applied on the back of the canvas while hot using a
brush or sponge. The canvas is then ironed (layers of newspaper are
placed between canvas and iron to control heat and to help dry the
canvas through absorption.) Ironing stops when the canvas is
perfectly dry. Heat helps "push" the glue through all the
preparatory layers guaranteeing their adhesion.

A beverone is generally considered a semi liquid substance, not to
confuse with lining glues or pastes.

The word beverone is also commonly used when referring to organic
glues applied onto wall paintings.

The word beverone was commonly used by Tuscan restorers from the mid
19th century until the 1960's and 70's

Daniela Murphy Corella
Associazione Bastioni
Florence, Italy